Tuesday, September 22, 2009

2nd Observation

So I did not think it was possible but my second observation went better than my first. This time I did a math lesson. I taught the students how to tell time. It was another whole group lesson but this time we were at our tables.
I gave each student a clock so that they could show me time. We talked about why we use a clock and what each hand on the clock stands for. We mostly focused on the whole hour but we talked some about half hour and quarter to and quarter past.
For the lesson I read the Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle. It was a really fun lesson because I asked the students to show me the time on their clocks. Then I had a student come up to the front of the class and change the demonstration clock. The class was fully engaged. Through out my observation the students stayed engaged the whole time. After the story I gave each student a worksheet with blank clocks. They all did really well filling in the hands based on what the time under each clock read. Along with this lesson I also had the students make clocks out of paper plates during centers. It was a fun activity to help them better understand clocks.
Yesterday we did an art theme time for centers with the students rotating freely to each center. It was a bug theme so we did butterfly paint prints, caterpiller story sequence cards, ladybugs and spiders. I was in charge of the spider center and we made hand spiders. It was a fun activity that involved tracing and cutting. Some of the students did really well, others struggled a little with the cutting and tracing but the spiders turned out really cute. I will take pictures of the demonstrations and post them soon.
I am getting less and less stressed each day but I am still tired. Some days more than others. It all depends on what the students are doing during the day. Lately they have been really full of energy. I am glad that this is a short week as well as next week. Good time to get caught up with all MY school work and start planning for when I will be fully in charge of the class. That task will begin after UEA. Wish me luck!
That's all for now but I will write again shortly. Much love to all!

1 comment:

deni said...

You are doing great. I am such a proud Aunt!