Thursday, September 10, 2009

Alone in the Class

Today my host teacher had to deal with a family issue so I was in charge of the class all by myself. Well not all by myself. The other student teacher was there with me but o my goodness was it crazy. The kids think that just because I am a student teacher they do not have to listen. For the most part the class was great and we got through the day with no serious problems but those students who have behavior issues let their behavior shine. There are a few students who tried to take advantage of the situation but we kept in under control. We got through everything that was planned for the day and even got in some reading from our chapter book Charlotte's Web. We were also able to get through most of our mystery bags which made from some wonderful transitions and time fillers.
I have to say that today was a day where you wonder if you made the right choice. I know that I did but it is sometimes hard when you are in someone elses classroom and the control is not fully yours. I will be greatful when I have a class of my own and disipline is something that is completely up to me.
All in all the day went well but I am absolutely exhausted. It is nice to have a host teacher to help keep the students in control and have that ultimate power that the kids seem to be almost afraid of. It is like my rules dont count. Clean up was hard because some of the students thought that they could goof off but we got them under control and with the use of positive reinforcement were able to get everything accomplished.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Thanks for the compliments Annie. You are sweet. I hope everything is going great with you:)